Many families travel far from home and spend several weeks or months to get treatment for their seriously ill or injured children – a long time to be away or to divide a family. And, for children facing a serious medical crisis, nothing seems scarier than not having their parents close by for love and support. Our Ronald McDonald House keeps families close to their hospitalize children during this difficult time.
Our House program is built on the simple idea that nothing else should matter when a family is focused on the health of their child – not where they can afford to stay, where they will get their next meal or where they will lay their head at night to rest. We believe that when a child is hospitalized, the love and support of family is as powerful as the strongest medicine prescribed.
We provide the following services for families:
– Private bedrooms with bathrooms, TVs, cable, and phones
– Home-cooked dinner and breakfast provided daily by volunteers
– Two fully-equipped kitchens with microwaves, refrigerators, and ovens
– Laundry facilities with free washers, dryers and laundry supplies
– Business center with computer and internet access
– Private pumping room for nursing parents
– Calm sanctuary in our Butterfly Garden and outdoor serenity patio
– Play area and playground for children
– Entertainment room with video games and movies
– Common areas to read, relax, and find community
– Various family friendly activities throughout the week
– Free shuttle for families without transportation
Who Can Stay?
Temporary housing is offered for those family members who will be directly involved with the daily support of the patient. Depending on room size, maximum occupancy is 3 to 5 people, including children.
To be able to stay at our House
- The patient must be 21 years old or younger, single, and receiving medical treatment in Gainesville
- The family must live outside Alachua County
- All adults 18 years or older requesting to stay overnight must:
- agree to a criminal background check and meet RMHCNCF screening standards
- present valid photo identification at check-in
- Parents of the patient must be over 18 years old; if not, they must have an immediate family member over 18 years of age with them at all times in the House.
- All overnight guests and visitors must meet our Healthy House Policy requirements. Call 352-374-4404 x.222 if you have questions
I want to:
- Create a new Room Request
- Add an additional Background Authorization form to an existing Room Request